Fertility is not a subject that routinely crosses the minds of most males. As a matter of fact, men rarely give a moment's thought to the actual health of their sperm. But if you plan on ever fathering children, you should not only be aware of your reproductive health, you need to take every precaution to protect it.
Here are five simple tips for every man to consider. These guidelines may seem simple or obvious, but they could very well prove instrumental in safeguarding and enhancing your overall reproductive health. They may even ensure the well-being of your future children.
1. Quit Smoking. While lighting up a butt these days is deemed "politically incorrect" by the masses, old habits are still very hard to break for longtime smokers. But here are some facts for you to consider. Cigarette smoking is linked to low sperm counts, and research shows a 64% increase in miscarriages when both partners smoke or when only the man smokes.
2. Cut Down on Your Alcohol. Not only does chronic alcohol abuse increase estrogen levels within the body, it can also seriously damage the reproductive system. Once this occurs, your ability to produce normally-formed sperm cells is radically reduced.
3. Increase Your Daily Dose of Vitamin C. Why do you think your mom always nagged you about "taking your vitamins"? Low levels of Vitamin C may cause your sperm to clump together, a phenomenon that renders almost 16% of all men infertile. So increase your daily dose of multi-vitamins, especially Vitamin C.
4. Keep Your Scrotum Cool. You think I'm making a joke here? It's absolutely true that excessive heat in the scrotal area can result in lower sperm count volume. If you're in the "baby-making" stages of your relationship, it would be wise to avoid hot tubs, hot baths, saunas, and warm stifling work environments. Also, no intense exercising. Men who exercise excessively run the risk of reducing their sperm count due to the heat that builds up around the testicles during overly-strenuous workouts. Furthermore, you should avoid wearing tight jockey shorts and jogging pants. Loose-fitting underwear is a great option whenever possible.
5. Finally, Abstain from Sex. Okay, admittedly, this one may be tough for a lot of guys! But brief periods of sexual restraint (three to six days) will increase both the volume and potency of semen. However, don't abstain for very long periods. Prolonged abstinence results in higher volume of older sperm, which in turns exhibits decreased mobility.
In addition to the tips above, you can also purchase natural herbal supplements that help increase semen production. Zinc and L-Arginine are two extremely potent (and popular) herbs that can boost overall fertility, as well as heighten your sex drive! There are many products available online which contain fertility supplements.
Come on guys. Be more knowledgeable about your general health. Look out for yourself. And in doing so, you'll also be looking out for your future "chips off the old block".